Re: Emacs 21 and M-x term

From: Mark Plaksin
Subject: Re: Emacs 21 and M-x term
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 20:17:07 -0400

Lute Kamstra <Lute.Kamstra@cwi.nl> writes:

>> My main problem seems to have been using Debian unstable.  With
>> Debian woody and CVS Emacs, it's much better.  Almost all of the
>> rest of my problems went away when I compiled eterm.ti on all of the
>> hosts and set TERM to eterm.
>
> So, which problems remain?

After more testing, it turns out that it isn't stable vs. unstable.
Instead it is courier fonts vs. fixed fonts.  With Emacs 20 I can use
either one; with CVS Emacs courier causes problems.  Specifically, with
CVS Emacs emacs -q M-x term ls with a fixed font works as expected but
with a courier font the columns don't line up correctly.

The two fonts I am using are:
-adobe-courier-medium-r-*-*-20-*-100-100-*-*-*-*
-*-fixed-*-*-*-*-24-*-100-100-*-120-iso8859-1

I don't care whether I use fixed or courier so I switched to fixed for
CVS Emacs.

Now that I can use CVS Emacs for everyday work, I will compile a list
of the remaining problems and do what I can to help with debugging.

One problem so far: ssh to an HP-UX 11.00 system, set TERM to eterm, and
run vi.  C-d does *almost* what you'd expect but the bottom half of the
screen is off by one line.  When I hit C-l the bottom half of the lines
move up one line.

Thanks for your help :)