Re: mail-yank-original

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: mail-yank-original
Date: 10 Sep 2003 06:46:25 -0700

Joe Corneli <jcorneli@math.utexas.edu> wrote in message
news:<mailman.1350.1062349996.29551.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>...
> C-c C-y  mail-yank-original in my *mail* evokes
>
> Symbol's value as variable is void: mail-reply-buffer
>
> Why is this?  Seems like something that rmail & mail should
> be able to settle between themselves without my intervention...

Nobody has answered, and I also don't have a good idea.  The only
thing that comes to my mind is to try to reproduce the problem with
"emacs -q -no-site-file".  If it still happens there, then it must be
a bug and M-x report-emacs-bug RET is your friend.  If it makes the
problem go away, then you can try "emacs -q".  If that shows the
problem then there is something wrong in site-start.el or default.el.
If "emacs -q" also doesn't show the problem, then something is fishy
in ~/.emacs.

For finding the problem in site-start.el or default.el or .emacs, I
suggest to comment out the second half of the file.  Then you know
whether it's in the first half or in the second half.  Then you halve
the half and so on and pretty soon you'll find the problematic spot.
Then you either know what to do, or you post another question saying
the following lisp code fubars and ask for help.

Kai