Re: utf-16-le-pre-write-conversion missing

From: Peter J. Acklam
Subject: Re: utf-16-le-pre-write-conversion missing
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 20:01:22 +0200

Kai.Grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Grossjohann) wrote:

> Dave Evans <root@hclb.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > When set-buffer-file-coding-system is set to utf-16-le, I get
> > error "symbol's function definition is void:
> > utf-16-pre-write-conversion" in the minibuffer when attempting
> > to save a file.
>
> AFAIK, Emacs 21.3 does not support utf-16.  So it must be coming
> from some kind of package, perhaps you installed Mule-UCS?

The etc/NEWS file says:

   ** UTF-16 coding systems are available, encoding the same characters
   as mule-utf-8.  Coding system `utf-16-le-dos' is useful as the value
   of `selection-coding-system' in MS Windows, allowing you to paste
   multilingual text from the clipboard.  Set it interactively with
   C-x RET x or in .emacs with `(set-selection-coding-system 'utf-16-le-dos)'.

I have tried using

   (set-selection-coding-system 'utf-16-le-dos)

but I only end up getting an error when I save files.

Peter

--
Everyone has a blind spot in each eye.  I also have a deaf spot
in each ear.  If you stand at a certain place, I can't hear you.