Re: unedebug-defun?

From: David Vanderschel
Subject: Re: unedebug-defun?
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 11:51:25 -0500

"David Abrahams" <dave@boost-consulting.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.168.1063289005.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org...

> Once I do `M-x edebug-defun' there appears to be no
> easy way to keep edebug from stopping at the
> beginning of the function forevermore.  ...

I came close to posting a very similar 'plaint a few
days ago.  The responses to David's question so far
address the issue of how to remove the edebug
instrumentation from a function.  That may be
sufficient for David, but I was never unclear on
that.  The issue for me was that I wanted to be able
to instrument a function and still not have it break
automatically when invoked.  I wanted to set a
qualified source breakpoint so that it would only
break when the argument satisfied a certain
condition.  Doing the obvious thing - removing the
break at the beginning of the function when first
invoked - does not work because edebug does not admit
to there being a breakpoint there.

The key to this issue may be found in the Edebug
Execution Modes node of the info file for elisp.  In
particular, the variable mentioned at the bottom,
edebug-initial-mode is key to accomplishing what I
want.  I had realized that "go" mode sounded right,
but giving that command after the break did not help.
Setting the variable does it.

Regards,
  David V.