Re: rendering a string as a new line?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: rendering a string as a new line?
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 14:43:08 GMT

> I will have to work systematically with Unicode files which happen to
> use some strange tags to represent new line. Is there a way to render
> the tags as newlines without explicitly adding the new line
> characters?

You can put a string "\n" as a `display' property on those tags.

You might also be able to get your way using `compose-region'
... ah no, you'd get the 10th glyph of your ascii font (which might
display some kind of LF).

As for how to put that `display' property, well you could use font-lock.

But all in all, I'd say it's probably better to write up a coding-system
that maps those tags to/from \n.  Ask a coding-system guru how to do that.

        Stefan