?? emacsclient: can't find socket; have you started the server? <--Why

From: Christian Seberino
Subject: ?? emacsclient: can't find socket; have you started the server? <--Why this?
Date: 16 Sep 2003 13:18:43 -0700

I started an emacs session and ran server-start.

I then opened an xterm and verified $EDITOR was set to emacsclient.

I then did "emacsclient somefile" hoping it would run in my old emacs

process but instead I got following message....

emacsclient: can't find socket; have you started the server?

What am I doing wrong?? What is this about a socket??

Chris