Re: comments are not highlighted

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: comments are not highlighted
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 13:10:59 GMT

> which has arround 150 lines of comments. at line 184 or so.. . Emacs stops
> changing the color (global-font-lock-mode) of comments after certain point
> ( 100 lines or so) after that it shows the comments as normal text and
> highlights the keywords such as "do" "for" etc..

My crystal ball says that you have an open-paren or open-bracket or
open-brace in column 0 somewhere inside your 150-lines-long comment.

Emacs thinks this indicates a "beginning of defun" and thus assumes
it's not inside a comment.  This heuristic is used in some cases but not
all the time, so the highlighting will sometimes be correct and sometimes
not depending on where the font-locking has started (since you're
presumably using jit-lock which highlights the buffer on the fly in small
increments).

        Stefan