Re: emacs C question

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: emacs C question
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:35:00 GMT

>> > I'm not sure if this is the right group for this.  I am picking
>> > around the emacs C source.  How can I make emacs open a file from the
>> > internal C code.  e.g. write a function in emacs/src/buffer.c that opens a
>> > specific file.  Any ideas?  Thanks
>> >
>> > John
>>
>> Why would anyone want to do that?

> Because I'm trying to implement drag and drop for gtk emacs.  I have

Cool.  Please send your patch to emacs-devel@gnu.org so people can give you
feedback (as you might have noticed, there is a fair bit of convention in
the C code, and since you're not familiar with it, you probably missed some
of it).

> gotten the dragging and dropping to work, but now I have to put some
> meat in the function that gets called.  I'm new to emacs' inner
> workings and am a little lost.

Rather than hard-code `find-file', you should make it customizable
in elisp.  Maybe it's worthwhile to look at how drag&drop is handled in the
W32 part of the code.  The two should hopefully provide a similar
functionality to elisp so that the rest of the code can be the same for
all OSes.

        Stefan