Re: chinese encoded in UTF-8 and XML

From: Gernot Hassenpflug
Subject: Re: chinese encoded in UTF-8 and XML
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 15:39:26 +0900

Miles Bader <miles@lsi.nec.co.jp> writes:

> Micah Cowan <micah@cowan.name> writes:
>> FWICT, Emacs doesn't have a chinese input method which supports
>> unicode output... :-( ...I've had similar troubles with Japanese. I've
>> also noted that, e.g. for greek, there are input methods which
>> explicitly support unicode, and others which do not.
>
> CVS emacs supports unicode japanese fine if you do
> `M-x utf-translate-cjk-mode'; not sure about chinese.

Very interesting. So this function was not in 21.3, despite mule being
absorbed into emacs. Coding in iso-2022-jp was more prevalent and utf
was not required before this or what? I have been using emacs 21.3
with japanese encoding for years now. Is this issue part of the
argument between utf supporters and those who disagree with the idea?

--
G Hassenpflug RASC, Kyoto University