Re: [OT] inundated by Swen / Gibe emails

From: Glyn Millington
Subject: Re: [OT] inundated by Swen / Gibe emails
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 08:27:01 +0100

Gernot Hassenpflug <gh@nospam.com> writes:
> Glyn, I work at a Unix workstation. Sendmail puts the mail on the
> mailserver. Procmail fetches it from there and filters it through
> junkmail filter into my local account mail folders (I read it with
> mew, a Japanese emacs mail program, but gnus or Wanderlust or mh would
> do as well).
>
> If the mailserver can only be accessed via APOP would popsneaker work?
> If I use POP3 from my mail program, I have to use a .forward file to
> first move all the mail to a different machine which has the less
> secure POP3 on it. Then the work would be similar....

I think popsneaker should work with apop - below isa snip from the manual

,----
| This is the 0.6 release of popsneaker.  It contains some redesigns in
|   the networking code to make popsneaker more modular.  While prior
|   versions support only the POP3 protocol, it should become possible now
|   to connect to servers using many different methods.  The following
|   mail-retrieval protocols are currently supported: POP3 (incl. APOP).
`----

On the other hand I believe that many of the  current wave of spam
messages are very large - over 100K - so it should be possible simply ti
filter them with either procmail or fetchmail on that basis - I set up
popsneaker here before discovering this ;-)

Good luck

Glyn