Re: looking for something like isearch-forward-column

From: Greg Hill
Subject: Re: looking for something like isearch-forward-column
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 16:19:12 -0700

At 5:06 PM -0500 9/29/03, Joel Graber wrote:
I use gnu emacs version 21.2.1 usually on linux redhat system.
to view very wide column oriented datafiles
I'd like to be able to isearch forward and backward for
a character in the same column as the cursor.

I've googled and found several similar questions in *emacs*
groups but no satisfactory answers.

My latest direction is to start by making it a macro
to call isearch-forward-regexp ^...<letter>

Example text file:
0123
LLLxLLLLL line 1
LHLLLLLLL line 2
LLLLLHLLL line 3
LHLLLLLLL line 4
LLLHLLLLL line 5

If my cursor is on the x in line 1 column 3.
and I want to find where is the next H in this column
(which is in line 5)
and I press a key bound to a macro,
I need it to query me what character to search for,
then convert it a call to isearch-forward-regexp
for string ^...H

How do I insert <current-column>-1 number of .
into the regexp in the macro?

Or is there lisp code to support this already maybe?

thanks,
--
Joel Graber

Joel,

Something like this function bound to a key should get you close to what you are trying to do. You might want to add a (backward-char) after the (re-search-forward ...) to leave the cursor in the same column as where you started.

(defun next-char-this-col (char)
  (interactive "sFind Char: ")
(re-search-forward (concat "^.\\{" (int-to-string (current-column)) "\\}" char)))

--Greg