splitting mail in Gnus

From: Roger Mason
Subject: splitting mail in Gnus
Date: 02 Oct 2003 09:04:19 -0230

Hello,

Firstly, thanks for the replies to my previous posting on Gnus.  That
problem is now resolved.

Reading the info pages I find it is possible to split mail into
different groups.  Accordingly, I have these lines in my .gnus file.

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")))
(setq nnmail-split-methods ....)

The first by default puts mail in nnml:mail.misc and the second into
groups, each associated with a regexp that is used to filter the incoming
messages.

It is not clear to me which of these lines takes precedence: after
all there is no point in setting up a filter if the messages will all
end up in nnml:mail.misc and never see the filter.

I tried commenting out (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml
""))), but then all my mail groups appeared in the Group buffer with
asterisks in place of the number of messages and none of them could be
accessed.

Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks,
Roger Mason