Re: Emacs in Mandrake 9.1

From: Dan Anderson
Subject: Re: Emacs in Mandrake 9.1
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 19:38:00 -0400

> First problem is that I can't seem to work out how to cut and paste text
> from EMACS to Mozilla( version 1.3.10).  Copying the other way round
> works fine but neither ctrl-v nor the middle mouse button will past the
> text in.  This sounds more like it's maybe a Mozilla problem rather than
> EMACS?

        That's a standard problem (or is it feature?) with Emacs under Mandrake
9.1. using the RPMs.  You can cut and paste from any X Program into
Emacs but not visa versa.  There are a couple of things you can do to
change this:

        1) I *believe* there is some LISP you can put in your .emacs to allow
cut and paste from emacs.
        2) There are 2 versions of Emacs included in the Emacs distribution.
(No, XEmacs is not one of them).  If you install the X11 version of
Emacs Emacs will look much less Emacsish when it loads up (this may not
coexist well with regular emacs -- I forget) but you will be able to cut
and paste.

> The other problem is that whenever I bring up a new EMACS buffer it puts
> it into auto-fill mode which I find extremely annoying.

        Yup.  That's the new default configuration -- for all those people who
couldn't figure out how to turn auto fill mode on.  :D.

        I'm not sure how you would turn that off but you could probably search
for your default .emacs file and change things.

-Dan