Re: C-f, C-b, C-n and C-p or right, left, down, up?

From: Sven Utcke
Subject: Re: C-f, C-b, C-n and C-p or right, left, down, up?
Date: 06 Oct 2003 16:21:26 +0200

"Daniel B." <dsb@smart.net> writes:

> Barman Brakjoller wrote:
> >
> > >From the Emacs tutorial (C-h t):
> >
> >  "...  We recommend learning C-b, C-f, C-n and C-p for three
> >  reasons.  First, they work on all kinds of terminals.  Second, once
> >  you gain practice at using Emacs, you will find that typing these
> > Control
> >  characters is faster than typing the arrow keys ..."
> >
> > Is it worth it?
>
> Yes, but reconfigure your keyboard so that the Caps Lock key functions
> as the control key.  (I'm assuming you're using a PC-style keyboard.)
>
> Emacs control-character sequences were designed when the standard place
> for the control key was just to the left of where the A key is (in the
> US layout).

Well, considering where C-y is on an american keyboard (it's fine on a
German one, incidentially), makes one wonder if Emacs control
sequences where ever designed for anything but mnemonic value --- Most
of them certainly are in strange places.

I for one use the arrow keys where available, even after using Emacs
for 10 years, and while rarely using the mouse...

Sven
--
 _  __                     The Cognitive Systems Group
| |/ /___  __ _ ___                                       University of Hamburg
| ' </ _ \/ _` (_-<  phone:    +49 (0)40 42883-2576      Vogt-Koelln-Strasse 30
|_|\_\___/\__, /__/  fax  :    +49 (0)40 42883-2572             D-22527 Hamburg
          |___/ http://kogs-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~utcke/home.html