Re: emacs as an ide

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: emacs as an ide
Date: 09 Oct 2003 14:06:20 +0100

  Martin> Hi,

  Martin> I want to use emacs as an ide.  I can see how to set it up
  Martin> to simply compile the current file, but I would also like to
  Martin> be able to build projects (ie.  compile multiple files and
  Martin> then link them), and build a solution - ie build multiple
  Martin> projects.

  Martin> Is it possible to add buttons or menu options that execute
  Martin> appropriate make commands?  Also would it still be able to
  Martin> hook up any compile error messages with the appropriate
  Martin> source file?

It's certainly possible to do this, but its more probable that you
don't want to.

Emacs already has a lot of support for compilation, through make for
example. Specify your build with make, and the M-x compile (or
Tools-->Compile) will do the job. Whether emacs will parse the compile
error messages or not, depends on what language you are talking about,
and what compiler.

Cheers

Phil