Re: How to copy rectangles

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: How to copy rectangles
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 14:37:54 -0400

Siegfried Heintze wrote:

> There is a nice yank-rectangle command -- I really like it.
>
> My problem is that there is only a kill-rectangle command. Why is there no
> kill-rectangle-save command? I need it!
>
> I can copy a rectangle to a register with copy-rectangle command, but how
> do I extract it from the register? There is no insert-rectangle command. I
> guess insert-register works. Well anyway, does anyone have a
> kill-rectangle-save command I could have? Was it omitted intentionally?
>
>   Thanks for the good work you guys!
>   Sieg

I was just looking at the date on your posting. I wasn't planning to answer
it because I don't know of one. But the thought occurred to me that maybe
that's the reason no one else has answered.

Just a thought: Would it be easier for you to make a macro with a different
keybinding to insert the rectangle to and from your register? Would that
simplify things?

I did something similar with query-replace. It's easier for me to type C-c q
than M-%. Sometimes there are better shortcuts.

For what it's worth.

--Rod

--
Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answered for Practical Consumers"
and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." Both are available at

To reply by e-mail, take the extra "o" out of the name.