RE: ALT as ALT, Meta as Meta and Keymap

From: andrew . maguire
Subject: RE: ALT as ALT, Meta as Meta and Keymap
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:01:18 -0400

> Hi, (sorry for my bad English, I'm French).
> I have a laptop where I have got an azerty/latin0 keyboard.
>
> I've mapped with xmodmap meta on windows key (it work good)
> and i have an
> ALT key too but in emacs or during the init, it thinks that
> my ALT key is Meta
> and I don't want it, I'd rather ALT do Alt. That's why I would like to
> know, where alt is defined as Meta, how does the init work?
> which files
> read it first, the order of the mapping key and the priority.
>
> Moreover, I would like to know how to define key in latex
> mode (add-hook
> maybe), that M-a write \alpha, M-D write \Delta or something
> like that.
>
> Eventually if someone knows how to see emacs keymap easily?
The following may help...

(setq w32-alt-is-meta nil)
;w32-alt-is-meta's value is t
;
;Documentation:
;Non-nil if the alt key is to be considered the same as the meta key.
;When nil, Emacs will translate the alt key to the Alt modifier, and not
Meta.

(require 'tex-mode)
(define-key tex-mode-map "\M-a" '(lambda () (interactive) (insert
"\\alpha")))
(define-key tex-mode-map "\M-d" '(lambda () (interactive) (insert
"\\Delta")))

Just use C-h v to view keymaps. E.g. C-h v tex-mode-map

Andrew