Re: emacsclient: controlling from an application?

From: DrMemory
Subject: Re: emacsclient: controlling from an application?
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 20:36:17 GMT

>You can set any variable on a per-buffer basis:
>

>(set (make-local-variable 'auto-save-visited-file-name) t)
>

>Try putting that in the file itself, either as the first line
>
># -*- eval: (set ...) -*-

Thanks. I tried it though, with results as follows, which baffle me:

It appears that the eval worked:

        auto-save-visited-file-name's value is
        Local in buffer 2do.txt; global value is
        nil

However, the auto-save is still behaving as if the global value were in force:

  -rw-r--r--    1 swani    swani         819 Oct 15 14:18 #2do.txt#
  -rw-r--r--    1 swani    swani         819 Oct 15 14:15 2do.txt

I'll have a tilt at the other 2 ideas. Both emacs and the
knowledgeable folks in this forum never cease to amaze me. Thanks for
the suggestions!