Re: edebug question - context of calling function

From: David Vanderschel
Subject: Re: edebug question - context of calling function
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 21:19:17 -0500

"jan" <janmar@iprimus.com.au> wrote in message
news:<mailman.1841.1066353965.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>...
> "David Vanderschel" <DJV1@Austin.RR.com> writes:

> > I sometimes put a source breakpoint in my code to catch a particular
> > error condition.  When such a conditional breakpoint fires, the
> > actual problem, though recognized in the called function, is often
> > attributable to the calling function.  What I want to do then is to
> > look around at the state of the calling function at the time it
> > called the function which invoked edebug.  I can instrument the
> > calling function; but, when in the debugger, I cannot see how to pop
> > the context stack so that I can look around at the variables in the
> > calling program.  What am I missing?

> If I understand you correctly, you want to walk up the stack and look
> at the local variable in the functions along the way. I had a quick
> look and both edebug and the standard emacs debugger seem to be
> missing this feature. However, it may not be necessary because elisp
> is a dynamically scoped language, for example:

I think you do understand me correctly.
Unfortunately, I often reuse the same local variables
(eg., i, j, x, ...).  I was also interested in the
calling context in the sense of "Among multiple
possible invocations in the calling program, which
invocation of of the function which noticed the
condition caused this break."

I guess you are correct that I have to move the logic
which catches the inconsistency up a level.  But there
is no one nice place to put it for the bug I am
chasing now.

Regards,
  David V.