Re: auto-fill mode in java-mode

From: Adam Hardy
Subject: Re: auto-fill mode in java-mode
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 11:38:40 +0200

On 10/16/2003 11:16 PM Alan Mackenzie wrote:
Adam Hardy <emacs@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote on Mon, 13 Oct 2003 23:58:08
+0200:
On 10/13/2003 11:10 AM Alan Mackenzie wrote:
I'm trying to get my java-mode to wrap lines at 75 cols and I've not
got it working.
[ .... ]
I'm not sure how useful the auto-filling is in lines other than
comment lines.
[ .... ]
There is only one quibble that I have with the arrangement as I now
have it, and the cc-mode help, which is great, is not telling me how or
why it happens:

- when auto-fill breaks a line, it ignores my idea of what the indentation should be. I have to hit tab (or an electric key) for the
indentation to sort itself out. I assume my settings are in need of
some adjustment, but I don't know which of the following it is:
[ settings snipped ]

I don't think there's any code in CC Mode to re-indent auto-filled stuff
(apart from comments).  It's one of these things that "nobody" will ever
really need (Hah!), and nobody can be bothered to code.  The variable
c-ignore-auto-fill seems more like an emergency kludge than a fully
worked out facility.

If you think about it, auto-fill with reindentation would be complicated -
The Java code could be filled, then reindented, causing it to spill over
the right margin, requiring re-filling, then reindentation, .....  It
would probably end up looking like an Outlook-Express Usenet posting.  :-(

You could always reindent the code with C-M-\ or C-M-q or something.  But
that will ruin the 75 column limit.  :-(  There probably isn't a good
solution to this (other than to enhance CC Mode).  Sorry.

That's what I'm doing now - it's only 1 key-press. I can definitely live with it though.

Interesting to see you are based in Munich. I am too.

I would have posted off-list but your email address doesn't show.

Thanks for the help!

Adam

--
GNU Emacs 21.3.1 on Linux 2.4.20 RH9