Re: Inject some eshell features into shell?

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: Inject some eshell features into shell?
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 12:56:30 +0200

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> Kevin Rodgers wrote:
>
>> Here's a start.  It's main deficiency is that it only works for commands
>> that take zero or one argument:
>

> This should fix that problem:

Hey, cool!  It's not quite what I meant, but you're showing me the
interesting bits.  I need to set comint-input-sender to my function,
and my function needs to fall back using comint-simple-send.

What I meant was something less automatic: Have an alist which says
which Lisp to invoke depending on the first word.

But maybe it's also good to use the eshell way of doing things: just
look for a kshell/foo function if the user entered foo.

When using eshell, I noticed that many Lisp functions are not suitable
to be called from the shell prompt.  For example, cvs-update is a good
candiate, but it requires me to pass FLAGS (and DIRECTORY).  It just
fees unnatural to type "cvs-update . nil" at the shell prompt, when
"cvs-update" ought to do.

But let me thank you again for showing me the way to do it.  If I ever
get a round tuit, then of course I'll share my meagre results.

(For maximum bliss, I'll need to work on getting a decent shell under
Windows.)
--
Two cafe au lait please, but without milk.