Re: Loops and scripting in eshell

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: Loops and scripting in eshell
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 22:15:18 +0200

Oliver Scholz <alkibiades@gmx.de> writes:

> Kai Grossjohann <kai.grossjohann@gmx.net> writes:
>
>> Oliver Scholz <alkibiades@gmx.de> writes:

[...]
>>> Loops are the one feature that I am missing in eshell.
>>
>> for f in a b { echo $f; }               # invokes shell command echo
>> for f in a b ( find-file f )            # invokes Lisp command

[...]
> Thank you very much. What a relief!
[...]

I am not quite there yet. I'd sometimes need something like:

for f in `ls` { echo $f }

So what would be the equivalent to bash:

for f in `ls`; do echo $f; done

or

for f in $(ls); do echo $f; done

?

Or is this one of the things eshell can't do? I sometimes use
something like this to rename all files in a directory or all files
with a specific extension or things like that. How would I do this in
eshell from the command line?

    Oliver
--
28 Vendémiaire an 212 de la Révolution