Re: emacsclient: controlling from an application?

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: emacsclient: controlling from an application?
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 10:58:13 -0600

DrMemory wrote:

It was suggested that I set the auto-save-visited-file-name var:

You can set any variable on a per-buffer basis:

(set (make-local-variable 'auto-save-visited-file-name) t)

Try putting that in the file itself, either as the first line

# -*- eval: (set ...) -*-

Which didn't work:

It appears that the eval worked:
However, the auto-save is still behaving as if the global value were in force:

And you suggested:

The variable is consulted when visiting a file to setup some other
auto-save-related variables.  What is probably occuring is that the
variable is consulted before it is changed by the "eval: (set ...)"
cookie.

Nosing around, I find a variable called buffer-auto-save-file-name.
Setting that in an eval statement does work, if anyone is
interested....

-*- eval: (setq buffer-auto-save-file-name "Whatever") -*-

To get the effect of setting auto-save-visited-file-name, change "Whatever"
to buffer-file-name.

--
Kevin Rodgers