Re: Is it better to use eLISP or Common LISP?

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: Is it better to use eLISP or Common LISP?
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 16:37:10 -0400

> * Dan Anderson <qna@znguwhaxvrf.pbz> [2003-10-20 14:22:43 -0400]:
>
> I am thinking of hacking some LISP for a project manager.  I know that I
> can either use Emacs LISP or the eLISP file that interfaces with common
> LISP.  Since I'd be learning LISP for the first time, what would be best
> to do?  Also, are there any reasons why?

The choice is between "Emacs-Lisp" and "Common Lisp".

I recommend Common Lisp.

Emacs-Lisp is a largely obsolete dialect, defined by its unique
implementations (Emacs & XEmacs stem from the same codebase), unsuitable
for large projects (even though many large projects indeed have been
done in it!)

Common Lisp is a modern standard language (actually, it was the first OO
language to receive an ANSI standard) with several high quality
implementations.

details: <http://www.podval.org/~sds/tool.html>

<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
MS Windows: error: the operation completed successfully.