Re: Is it better to use eLISP or Common LISP?

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Is it better to use eLISP or Common LISP?
Date: 21 Oct 2003 12:09:43 +0100

  >> * Dan Anderson <qna@znguwhaxvrf.pbz> [2003-10-20 14:22:43 -0400]:
  >>
  >> I am thinking of hacking some LISP for a project manager.[...]  Since
  >> I'd be learning LISP for the first time, what would be best to
  >> do?  Also, are there any reasons why?

  Sam> The choice is between "Emacs-Lisp" and "Common Lisp".

  Sam> I recommend Common Lisp.

  Sam> Emacs-Lisp is a largely obsolete dialect,

  Sam> Common Lisp is a modern standard language

If you want to learn a lisp, then Common Lisp would probably be the
better choice.

If you want to modify the behaviour of Emacs, then Emacs Lisp would be
the better choice.

  >> I know that I can either use Emacs LISP or the eLISP file that
  >> interfaces with common LISP.

I don't know what this means. What "elisp file that interfaces with
common lisp". If you want emacs to do things, then you can use emacs
lisp, or emacs lisp.

Phil