Re: virtual space?

From: Michael Durland
Subject: Re: virtual space?
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 01:26:00 GMT

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@elta.co.il> wrote in message
news:mailman.2047.1066715377.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org...

> Emacs has an optional feature to cause it pop up a new frame
> (``window'' in your parlance) to display comlpetion results.  See the
> documentation of the variable `special-display-buffer-names'.  Why
> isn't this sufficient?

Is there a way to show these spawned special frames without an actual
"frame" around them?  That is, just the window contents with no title bar,
no resizing border, etc.  Just the actual contents inside the frame?  That
way it could appear on top of the existing frame and have the appearance
that it is part of the same frame.  I found how to specify some properties
of the frame, like position and size, but I didn't figure out how to specify
system properties like what "style" the spawned frame has.  Another example
where this is useful is to have a virtual ruler that floats around over the
text.  This can be used to measure how wide strings are.  I have found this
feature useful in the past.  With a real frame, the "frame stuff" gets in
the way of the actual contents, which in this case would be numbers with
tick marks as periods.  Maybe this particular example could be done with an
overlay.  I'll see if I can look into that.

Thanks