Re: virtual space?

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: virtual space?
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:55:02 -0600

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

From: "Michael Durland" <mdurland@ix.netcom.com>
Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 01:26:00 GMT

Emacs has an optional feature to cause it pop up a new frame
(``window'' in your parlance) to display comlpetion results.  See the
documentation of the variable `special-display-buffer-names'.  Why
isn't this sufficient?

Is there a way to show these spawned special frames without an actual
"frame" around them?  That is, just the window contents with no title bar,
no resizing border, etc.  Just the actual contents inside the frame?

I don't understand why is this an issue (can you explain?), but it
sounds like the default Emacs behavior, whereby the possible
completions are shown in a window in the same frame, should satisfy
your needs, since there's no new frame borders involved.  What am I
missing?

He liked your suggestion to display the *Completions* buffer in its own
frame, via special-display-buffer-names.  But he wants it displayed
without any window manager decorations.

That way it could appear on top of the existing frame and have the
appearance that it is part of the same frame.

A separate window popped by Emacs by default in the same frame is, in
fact, part of the same frame.  What's wrong with that?

He wants the buffer/window to have a separate (special) frame.

I found how to specify some properties
of the frame, like position and size, but I didn't figure out how to specify
system properties like what "style" the spawned frame has.

What do you mean by the frame's ``style''?

I think he wants a new frame property (e.g. window-manager-decorations) that he
could specify in special-display-frame-alist.

With a real frame, the "frame stuff" gets in the way of the actual
contents, which in this case would be numbers with tick marks as
periods.

It is possible, at least in principle, to have frames without borders
(that's how Emacs creates tooltips, a.k.a. ``balloon help''), if that
is important, although I don't think you can do that now in Emacs.

Exactly -- but why not?

--
Kevin Rodgers