Re: Starting Emacs with different init file

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Starting Emacs with different init file
Date: 29 Oct 2003 18:18:43 +1100

 Joachim> Dan Anderson wrote:
 >> You could leave an empty .emacs file on your main file, and then
 >> M-x load-file RET filename to load the .emacs file from the
 >> directory, but that would probably be more trouble then it's
 >> worth.

 Joachim> Yep.

 >> I wonder if you did something like: (load-file "./.emacs") in your
 >> .emacs, would that work?

 Joachim> That did the trick!

 Joachim> Now, if only I knew how to traverse up the dir tree from
 Joachim> where I start emacs and let it take the first init file one
 Joachim> it finds until it reaches $HOME/.emacs-default. Like this:

 Joachim> ~/Work/Projects/Customer_One/Product_Series1/SW/src/
 Joachim> ~/Work/Projects/Customer_One/Product_Series1/SW/
 Joachim> ~/Work/Projects/Customer_One/Product_Series1/
 Joachim> ~/Work/Projects/Customer_One/.emacs

 Joachim> or

 Joachim> ~/Work/Projects/Customer_Two/Productum/HW/vhdl/
 Joachim> ~/Work/Projects/Customer_Two/Productum/HW/
 Joachim> ~/Work/Projects/Customer_Two/Productum/
 Joachim> ~/Work/Projects/Customer_Two/ ~/Work/Projects/ ~/Work/
 Joachim> ~/.emacs-default

 Joachim> Looks like a recursive problem to me, and maybe even
 Joachim> something I can put together myself even.

What is it about the different projects/jobs that requires totally
different init files? I suspect there is a much better solution, but
without knowing what it is you need different for the various
projects, its impossible to make any suggestion.

Tim

--
Tim Cross