Re: getting rid of button bar

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: getting rid of button bar
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 12:05:46 +0100

On Tue, Nov 04 2003, Adam Hardy wrote:

> On 10/27/2003 01:53 PM Reiner Steib wrote:
[ ~/.Xresources vs. ~/.emacs /  toolbar ]
>> If you do it in »~/.emacs«, Emacs starts *with* a tool bar (which
>> obviously doesn't make much sense) and removes it later.  Compare the
>> two calls below.  You'll see that they lead to different sizes of the
>> Emacs frame.
>> emacs -q -no-site-file -xrm 'Emacs.toolBar: 0' -geometry 80x20
>> emacs -q -no-site-file -xrm 'Emacs.toolBar: 1' -geometry 80x20 \
>>   -eval '(tool-bar-mode -1)
>
> I have now got an .Xresources file and have neatly got rid of my
> menu, tool and scrollbars. However in KDE, my emacs icon is set to
> launch emacs with this:
>
> kstart --maximize emacs %f
>
> and somehow it is not maximizing it properly. There is a 1 cm gap
> between the bottom of emacs and my KDE menu.
>
> I just checked over my .emacs file and unless I've gone blind,
> there's nothing in there affecting it.

Do you have all menu bar, tool bar and font settings in the
~/.Xresources file instead of ~/.emacs?  If you switch to a smaller
font or remove tool or menu bar in ~/.emacs (or through customize),
I'd expect such a behavior.

I don't use KDE, so I'm not sure how "kstart" should behave. ... Quick
test: Works for me with "Emacs.toolBar:0"

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)