Re: Cool and Useful LISP for the .emacs file

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Cool and Useful LISP for the .emacs file
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 04:08:42 -0500

Dan Anderson wrote:

> I was wondering what other people have in their .emacs file.  I would
> like to challenge everyone to add at least one cool tip / trick to:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/DotEmacs
>
> -Dan

As a non-Lisper I've wondered if anyone thinks it might be useful to open up
a category to include macros. I realize the vast majority are probably too
personalized to be useful to the next person but I have a few that might be
handy for beginners as a small drop-in push-button feature.

One is a macro that reads the name of the file in your grep output and calls
it up. Another will add groups of numbers and put the answer in your file.
People that are much more technically adept than I am may have some macros
that are almost magical.

The advantage from this is that someone could just cruise down the list and
have something they've never thought of that's extremely useful.

This would probably have to be monitored by someone to insure that
too-specialized macros wouldn't get on the list (say, requiring certain
files or directories) or malicious macros deleting files from Dired.

There may be severe drawbacks I haven't considered but I'm just tossing it
out as an idea.

--Rod

--
Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answered for Practical Consumers"
and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." Both are available at

To reply by e-mail, take the extra "o" out of the name.