Re: The last character of a file

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: The last character of a file
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 17:44:14 GMT

> Emacs is adding a newline to the end of my file.  I'd like it not to :o)

By default Emacs normally does not add a newline.
It is controlled by the variable require-final-newline.
If that variable is t set it to nil or `ask'.
And also try to find out why it is set to t.  It might be due
to the major mode you're using to edit the file, or to some change
in your .emacs or in the system global site-start.el or default.el.
(try passing -q and/or --no-site-file as args to Emacs when starting
to prevent loading those config files).

        Stefan