Re: Cool and Useful LISP for the .emacs file

From: Ole Laursen
Subject: Re: Cool and Useful LISP for the .emacs file
Date: 08 Nov 2003 15:09:23 +0100

"Jody M. Klymak" <jklymak@coas.oregonstate.edu> writes:

[...]

> I personally find lisp quite difficult.  The opportunities to code in
> it are few and far enough between, and the syntax so different from
> any other modern language, that I have a one-day overhead just to
> spool up to the point where I can do even the simplest thing.  And
> thus the coding opportunities get even fewer and further between, and
> the cycle spirals to the point where I am dependent on the good nature
> of package maintainers to tweak what I want.
>
> This must limit the base of emacs coders.

Lisp was once very hot, and Emacs was started in eighties. I think you
are underestimating the number of people on Unix who know Lisp. It is
still being taught in many computer science classes.

If you find Emacs Lisp confusing, you could try learning Scheme first.
Scheme is a very small Lisp dialect.

--
Ole Laursen
http://www.cs.auc.dk/~olau/