Re: line length control setting

From: Adam Hardy
Subject: Re: line length control setting
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 15:47:49 +0100

On 11/07/2003 07:40 PM Gareth Rees wrote:
Adam Hardy wrote:

I am using a brute force method of stopping myself from writing long lines of code, using this in my .emacs:

It's very drastic to do this using 'after-change-functions'; this stops
you from doing useful operations that temporarily create long lines that
you then propose to reformat (such as query-replace, delete-indentation,
or indent-region).

I suggest you use 'local-write-file-hooks' instead, perhaps using Line
Limit Mode, as described in this post to comp.emacs:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=uhfdaw35e.fsf%40pobox.com

From what I can tell, it looks like it only alerts me to the over-long lines when I try to save - which would be too late for the way I work - or have I misunderstood it?

Adam
--