Re: Cool and Useful LISP for the .emacs file

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Cool and Useful LISP for the .emacs file
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 15:52:48 GMT

> Some of us actually have to pay for our electricity.  Some of us care
> that leaving a computer running continuously spews carbon dioxide into
> the atmosphere (fuelling global warming) and creates radioactive waste.
> We switch our computers off when not in use.  I often boot my computer
> several times a day.

Why not `suspend' it ?
[ Incidentally: does anybody here have experience configuring a Linux
  desktop machine to behave "a bit like a laptop" and turn off its drive
  when not used, ...
  This is not only to save power but to save my ears as well.  ]

> But I don't like leaving Emacs running, even when my PC is on.  You see,
> jit-lock runs continuously in the background, consuming vast amounts of
> CPU usage, thus contributing even more to global warming, et al.

Not continuously: only until it's all been re-font-lock'd.
And if you don't like it, you can turn off the background jit-locking
by setting jit-lock-stealth-time to nil.

        Stefan