Re: How to put together a home computer with GNU/Linux

From: Kin Cho
Subject: Re: How to put together a home computer with GNU/Linux
Date: 12 Nov 2003 10:22:12 -0800

Jock Cooper <jockc@mail.com> writes:

> Don Saklad <dsaklad@nestle.ai.mit.edu> writes:
>
> > a. How would you put together a home computer with GNU/Linux ?...
> >

> > b. What manufacturers components would you look to in assembling a
> >    computer with GNU/Linux ?...
> >

> > I've heard that the best is knoppix.
>
> If you want to put it together yourself you need a :
> 1 case
> 1a power supply (if not included with case)
> 1b case fan (I think 80mm is the usual size)
> 2 motherboard (ATX is the usual type; refers to the form factor)

If you're looking to buy a new motherboard, first check the
motherboard manufacturer's website for the availability of
chipset drivers -- look for pci bridge, ide, sound, ethernet,
etc...  Often RH is the only vendor supported unless they also
provide source code (rare).

Older motherboards chipsets are often supported by the newer
kernels.

-kin