highlight current window/modeline after switching to it

From: clemens fischer
Subject: highlight current window/modeline after switching to it
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 21:27:22 +0100

with at least two windows open, i often have trouble to find the
active one, ie. the one where the curser is ready to accept commands.
so i want eg. the modeline swap fore- and background colors or parts
of it.  my older versions (this is a GNU Emacs 21.3.1
(i386-unknown-freebsd4.8, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)) did this
without any extra elisp.

i couldn't find a ready-made function, so my question continues with
"is there a hook called on each `other-window'"?  i think i could take
it from there with the elisp snippets already collected :)

regards,

  clemens