Re: Emacs newbie - Syntax Highlighting and Indentation

From: Bruce Ingalls
Subject: Re: Emacs newbie - Syntax Highlighting and Indentation
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:33:10 GMT

1) How do I enable syntax highlighting by default

I'm a little disappointed (but not surprised) that everyone replying
so far says to edit the .emacs file.

The simple and user-friendly answer is to use the Options menu, enable
Syntax Highlighting and then Save Options.

I'm also encouraging new users to use the custom interface rather than
scaring them with elisp edits.

Well, Emacs would be more user friendly, if it weren't so picky about its friends ;)
I hope a shameless plug for *my* .emacs at
 <url: http://emacro.sourceforge.net/ >
will make Emacs more user friendly, and solves many more issues.
It also comes with newbie documentation, and requires no programming.

The really easy answer, is to upgrade to the latest version of Emacs from CVS, if you know how to - it maximizes color by default.

You won't find the answer you expect, by searching the Options menu under "Development" nor "Programming".
Nor will you find "syntax highlighting".

Buried under "Faces", you will find "Font Lock Maximum Decoration".