Re: Emacs newbie - Syntax Highlighting and Indentation

From: David Rasmussen
Subject: Re: Emacs newbie - Syntax Highlighting and Indentation
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 12:06:18 +0100

Peter S Galbraith wrote:

The nice thing about looking at the custom interface once in a while is
that it makes a nice summary of features in one place.  You learn a lot
about what's available by looking at it.

Good point.

And I'd say: Would it kill emacs to have menus on all platforms, even in the console? They could just stay out of the way most of the time, and only pop up when requested. There is no reason why emacs couldn't have a layered architeture, in terms of usability. That is, there is no way why the most common operations shouldn't be fairly easy to figure out and perform, even for a newbie. Advanced features shouldn't stand in the way for simple features.

But I like emacs so far. I don't know why, but I seem to be able to learn and remember stuff faster than with vim. Weird.

/David