building Emacs with debugging symbols

From: Dan Anderson
Subject: building Emacs with debugging symbols
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 13:39:04 -0500

Is there something special I have to do to build emacs with debugging
symbols?  I keep getting segmentation faults under Mandrake Linux 9.2
which are driving me batty and keeping me from getting work done.  I
tried doing:

% gdb emacs

And all it said was:

GNU gdb 5.3-25mdk (Mandrake Linux)
are
conditions.
details.
This GDB was configured as "i586-mandrake-linux-gnu"...
(no debugging symbols found)...

-Dan