Re: browse url function and w3m

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: browse url function and w3m
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 11:23:43 -0600

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

>>>Just a guess:
>>>

>>>(add-hook 'html-helper-mode-hook
>>>       (lambda ()
>>>         (set (make-local-variable 'browse-url-browser-function)
>>>              'w3m-browse-url)))
>>>
>> Good guess Kevin thanks.  I see there is another problem involved
>> and
>> maybe pushing my luck here but here goes:
>> With the above in place, the effect is for w3m to browse the subject
>> file (in working html buffer) when one calles `browse-url-of-file'.
>> Only problem is that it pulls it up in a *w3m* buffer you then have to
>> switch to.
>> I don't see a function in w3m commands that will make it appear in
>> another window or even frame, can you take a guess at how to make the
>> browsed file appear in an immediately accessable window or even for
>> focus to switch to wherever it is being browsed?
>
> Try setting w3m-pop-up-windows to nil and w3m-popup-frames to t.  Or add
> "*w3m*" to special-display-buffer-names.

Well, the first part fails:

M-:  (setq w3m-pop-up-windoes nil) <RET>
M-:  (setq w3m-pop-up-frames t) <RET>

Then `browse-url-of-file' still retrieves the content of html file to
*w3m* buffer.
>From *Messages*:
  The content (file:/var/www/html/index.html) has been retrieved in
  *w3m*

M-: (setq special-display-buffer-names "*w3m*")
  Above is ASTERISKw3mASTERISK
or (setq special-display-buffer-names "w3m")
  no asterisks

Neither of those cause the buffer to be displayed either.  It stll
shows up in *w3m* undisplayed.

M-: (setq special-display-buffer-names ' "*w3m*")
Doesn't do it either.

Finally: Eval: (set-default special-display-regex (w3m)) <RET>

Actually works but causes an error too.
eval: Wrong type argument: symbolp, "w3m"

I'm having serious trouble getting the lisp right.