Re: emacs for Mac OS 10.3.1

From: Hugh Wolf
Subject: Re: emacs for Mac OS 10.3.1
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 18:29:28 GMT

On 2003-11-21, Stephen H. Westin <westin*nospam@graphics.cornell.edu> wrote:
> I still haven't figured out the point to Fink.

The main reason is version control and dependency management.  It's
just like using dselect etc in Debian or rpm in Redhat.  It makes no
sense at all to build straight from tars imo if you have a good
software package manager available.

An important secondary reason in because lots of unix packages need
minor adjustments to build and/or run in osx, and the kind volunteers
at fink have already created the .patch files for the rest of us to
use.

Thirdly, in many cases prebuilt fink binary packages are available
for download.  Why build it yourself if it's already been done for
you in a sensible way?

All in all, why would you _not_ want to use fink?  What advantages
are you gaining by building everything manually yourself?  I can't
think of any.