apropos apropos [was: how do i find out the platform emacs runs on?]

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: apropos apropos [was: how do i find out the platform emacs runs on?]
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 09:39:16 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@elta.co.il> wrote on 24 Nov 2003 08:20:30 +0200:

> The command "M-x apropos-variable RET system RET" will show you a list
> of all the variables that are useful for this and similar purposes.  No
> need to guess or try-and-err.

Hey, I never knew about `apropos-variable`.  In fact, it never occurred
to me, until now, to try C-h a apropos.  There's a whole wealth of
apropos-commands there, waiting to be discovered!

When I type C-h, only `apropos-command' is mentioned in the list of
options.  (Yes, I know, that's because it's the only one with an entry in
the C-h keymap.)

As a matter of interest, how should I have discovered the existence of
these commands?  Could it be that the "help" system could do with
enhancement?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter