Re: Using ange-ftp between Unix and VMS.

From: Peter Milliken
Subject: Re: Using ange-ftp between Unix and VMS.
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 06:52:25 +1100

Don't know if it is the same problem that I had about 3 years ago now - I
was trying to ange-ftp from a Windoze box to VMS (the company I was working
for then didn't want to put any NFS type package onto the VMS box).

At that time ange-ftp didn't make much of an attempt to understand the
output of ls from VMS ftp. Looking at ange-ftp now, it looks like the
maintainers have done considerable work to attempt supporting VMS.

Have you looked through the ange-ftp.el commentary? There seems to be some
extensive stuff there now over the version I was using.

As a last resort you'll have to do what I did - which is debug the source
and work it out for yourself. Back then I wrote a reasonable amount of Elisp
and then recoded some of it into Ada ((quick parsing and restructuring of
the output of ls to suit what ange-ftp wanted) for speed. I think from
memory it took about 2 - 3 days to get up and going but since all of the
work was on VMS boxes it was worth the time investment :-)

Goodluck, I know how frustrating it can be to want to use Emacs and be stuck
with something like VMS (which I have used extensively about 15 years ago -
but who wants to go back to using LSE and EVE when you have been exposed
Emacs? :-)).

Peter

2693cc5f.0311241109.20d2f907@posting.google.com">news:2693cc5f.0311241109.20d2f907@posting.google.com...