Re: Emacs Version 21.3 - McAfee Claims it has a Virus.

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Emacs Version 21.3 - McAfee Claims it has a Virus.
Date: 26 Nov 2003 20:32:21 +0000

wewilli1@hotmail.com (Will Williamson) writes:

> The FAQ above states that the virus is in NTEmacs.  I downloaded the
> Emacs source tarball which can be built on any platform (or that was
> my intent!) directly from the GNU web site.

My hypothesis is that certain virus programs have a fixed buffer
size for scanning compressed files, and cannot handle .tar.gz bigger
than a certain size. I used to use a virus scanner that bugged on
Emacs, and it also bugged on Ghostscript and other large .tar.gz
files. The solution is to turn off scanning of .tar.gz files. If
there is really a virus in there, it will be picked up when the
archive is unpacked anyway.