display of TAB character

From: georg1000
Subject: display of TAB character
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 00:15:35 +0100 (MET)

In http://www.jwz.org/doc/tabs-vs-spaces.html Jamie Zawinski
writes concerning the display of the TAB character:

    A third interpretation is for the ASCII TAB character to mean
    ``indent to the next tab stop,'' where the tab stops are set
    arbitrarily: they might not necessarily be equally distanced from
    each other. Most word processors can do this;
    Emacs can do this. I don't think vi can do this, but I'm not sure.

I was unable to find out how to do this. The only way to change
the display of TAB is by changing `tab-width', which can only be set to
a constant value. I do not want to change the behaviour of the
tab key (with `tab-stop-list' for example), but the display of the TAB
key.

Thanks in advance, Georg.

--
HoHoHo! Seid Ihr auch alle schön brav gewesen?

GMX Weihnachts-Special: Die 1. Adresse für Weihnachts-
männer und -frauen! http://www.gmx.net/de/cgi/specialmail