Re: auto-saving in other directory

From: sebyte
Subject: Re: auto-saving in other directory
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 19:42:43 +0000

leo wrote:

hi there

for backup files (like "filename.~1~) i can easily  tell emacs to create
them in its own subdirectory via backup-directory-alist.

regarding auto-saving files (like "#filename#") this mechanism doesn't
exist.

anywhere any package available for that?

thanks, leo

There's already a thread here somewhere that dealt with this exact issue. I can't find it now, but the information I remember, as I did what I am about to describe only yesterday! Basically, there is no 'built-in' function or variable that will do what you want it to do. However, one Sebastian Kremer wrote a package called 'auto-save' in 1992 that does exactly what you want it to do. You can find it at;

ftp://archive.cis.ohio-state.edu/pub/emacs-lisp/old-archive/auto-save.elZ

It's easy to install and, as far as I can tell, works perfectly. (All those annoying #...# files in one directory). Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

sebyte