Emacs from CVS question

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Emacs from CVS question
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 09:56:58 -0600

I built Emacs 21.3.50.1 from CVS on OS X 10.1.5, using Andrew Choi's
instructions.  Actually, I built it twice, once for Carbon and once
for X11.  This was my first-ever compilation of an application, so I
am pretty much an utter newbie with this.  I've noticed a couple of
things that I wonder about:

1.  The Emacs splash screen seems to be missing (I have a different
    build obtained through the Fink Project which does present the
    splash screen, v. 21.2.something)

2.  I can't seem to get the Toolbar to display in the Carbon build,
    but it works fine in the X11 build.

3.  CVS provides Gnus 5.9 rather than 5.10.

4.  The Xaw3d toolbars are missing from my build of 21.3, but are
    present in the 21.2 build from fink.  My impression was that this
    should have been included in the build automagically, but wasn't.

5.  The Option key works as META in Carbon but not in X11 (I think
    that may be a problem with XDarwin or OroborOSX, since the Option
    key works as META in Terminal).

6.  The Carbon build is HUGE- 95 MB!  Can this be slimmed down?

7.  In /usr/local/bin both emacs and emacs-21.3.50 were installed and
    appear to be identical- same size, date and when launched both
    provided teh same version information.  Why was this- something I
    did with the installation?

Other than these niggling minor issues which are mainly curiosity,
everything seems to work fine.