Re: Auto-Indent

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Auto-Indent
Date: 30 Nov 2003 08:08:10 +0200

> From: digits <digits@gentoo.se>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 17:11:23 GMT
>
> I can't find any information on how to solve this (simple) matter.

You should be able to find it in the node "Basic Indent" of the Emacs
manual.  Care to tell how you tried to look for it and come you didn't
find it?

> That Emacs keep the amount of tab's at the beginning of the line when I
> press enter, no matter which mode I am in.

Emacs already does that in most modes, but the command to do it is by
default bound to C-j, for which many keyboards lack a key (if you
have a keyboard with a key labeled "LFD", try using it instead of the
Return key).  You could either type Ctrl-j to get what you want, or
you could bind this function to the Return key, by putting this:

(global-set-key "\C-m" 'newline-and-indent)

into your ~/.emacs init file.

> Is there a way for this, or should I start looking into other editors -
> because this is a must have for me.

Threats?  Not very nice, IMHO.