Re: Emacs from CVS question

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: Emacs from CVS question
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 13:32:41 -0600

Piet van Oostrum <piet@cs.uu.nl> writes:

> TM> I built Emacs 21.3.50.1 from CVS on OS X 10.1.5, using Andrew
> TM> Choi's instructions.  Actually, I built it twice, once for
> TM> Carbon and once for X11.  This was my first-ever compilation of
> TM> an application, so I am pretty much an utter newbie with this.
> TM> I've noticed a couple of things that I wonder about:
>
> TM> 1.  The Emacs splash screen seems to be missing (I have a
> TM> different build obtained through the Fink Project which does
> TM> present the splash screen, v. 21.2.something)
>
> TM> 2.  I can't seem to get the Toolbar to display in the Carbon
> TM> build, but it works fine in the X11 build.
>
> Carbon emacs has no graphics support AFAIK. That takes care of the
> second point and probably also of the first.

Ah.  I wondered about that as Gnus 5.10 launches with the old ASCII
"gnu" rather than the newer, fancier one I see when I launceEmacs
under X11.  However, in point 1 I was referring to the X11 version.
That may be the result of the initial frame being too small, I'll
have to set the geometry to open a larger frame.