Re: how do i find out the platform emacs runs on?

From: Svend Tollak Munkejord
Subject: Re: how do i find out the platform emacs runs on?
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 10:03:48 +0100

On 2003-11-24, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@elta.co.il> wrote:

>> From: "leo" <halloleo@noospaam.myrealbox.com>
>> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
>> Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:42:22 +1100
>>
>> so how do i find out if emacs runs on the pc or onthe mac?
>
> The variables `system-configuration' and/or `system-type' will tell you.
>
>> ps: first attempt was the variable window-system, but that doesn't work
>> when i invoke emacs as a terminal app.
>
> The command "M-x apropos-variable RET system RET" will show you a list
> of all the variables that are useful for this and similar purposes.
> No need to guess or try-and-err.

Here (GNU Emacs 21.3) "M-x apropos-variable RET system RET" lists

cperl-help-system
file-coding-system-alist
  Variable: Alist to decide a coding system to use for a file I/O operation.
file-name-coding-system
  Variable: *Coding system for encoding file names.
keyboard-coding-system
  Variable: Specify coding system for keyboard input.
sendmail-coding-system
  Variable: *Coding system for encoding the outgoing mail.

Nothing about `system-type'. It is listed (among many other items) with
"M-x apropos RET system RET", though.

--
Svend Tollak Munkejord